Thursday, April 27, 2017

The Spring Fling

Today was really one of those days with lots of work, thoughts, memories and good feelings.  The morning started with chores, check the asparagus and a peaceful breakfast on the back deck.  A quick lick and a promise to the house and off I went to prime and paint at the cabin.  Have you ever heard a "lick and a promise"?  That is a saying my mom would use when she didn't have time to do the real cleaning.  That is what I did today.  Left the dishes in the dish drainer rather than take care of them.  Looked around and promised tomorrow I would dust and run the sweeper.  Yep, I call the vacuum a sweeper.  Oh, the dishes in the drainer...........I haven't used a dish washer in two years and don't miss it.  With just the two of us I would rather "do them up" after each meal.  For some reason these old hands love the warmth of the water.  It gives a little relief to those knotty old joints that remind me of my grandmothers.  Like the gray hair, it is all part of Carrie Gross, I remember from so long ago.

I had my day planned out when I went to bed last night.  Dick would be subbing at school and it meant I could work at my own pace with no interruptions.  The first thing at the cabin was prime the walls.  Then it was off to mow our lawn, the barnyard, around the garden and finally the cabin lawn.  Next the weed whacking for our house and the cabin.  By then it was lunch time, cheese burger,  like Jimmy Buffett sings............it was in Paradise.  Again the back porch to munch along with a view.  The view I never get tired of looking at.  The chickens and guinea hens were busy scratching and looking for bugs.  Smokey had his head down to the green and never once looked up when I would call to him.   That spring green gets to him!  A great love affair until the temperatures get hot, the grass loses its moist tender taste.  Then it is back to nibbling here and there for another year.

Once lunch was over it was back to the cabin to paint.  The primer was good and dry with all the windows open and a beautiful breeze blowing through.  It made my time go much faster feeling the fresh air and the feel of rain in the air.  It will blow rain in for the evening just in time for bed, relax and be thankful for the day.  A day of work, good feelings that I can still do what I love to do.  Keep busy, feel accomplished and grateful for this life we have.

The cabin is ready for the woodwork and chair rail.  I have moved on in my thoughts to what colors to use in each room.  Yes, it is getting close to the final decisions of what to do as far as decorating.  At this point I am thinking very simple and plain.  White for woodwork, cupboards and curtains keep coming into this mind of mine.  The bedroom and bathroom are painted............hunter's white.  It doesn't look white, more of a light gray/green if that makes sense.  The living room and kitchen are painted a very pale gray/green.  It reminds me of the sea grass at the beaches in NC.  I took a few pictures but the lighting just wasn't good this afternoon.  Maybe morning light will be better.

By the end of summer we are hoping to have a "WELCOME TO THE CABIN" so the ones that live close and have been following our adventure can take a look at it in real time.  I'm sure there will be some treats to eat as well! 

Here is the first pick of the garden.  Tomorrow night, asparagus with butter, salt, pepper and lemon.  Our favorite way to enjoy it.   That is it, my Spring Fling for the day!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a relaxing, peaceful day with a log accomplished. It is good to have a day now and then that is totally at our pace.

    ReplyDelete