Monday, May 23, 2016

The 57 Chevy

Window vents to keep the air moving,  no air conditioning.

Ron and Dick checking out every square inch.

Full bench seat, fits 3 easy.

Stylish lines, wow!

Big steering wheel!  The dice on the mirror, a must have.

There is the white walls and beautiful color.

Quite by accident we happened upon this "Thursday Night Car" show at the Charcoal Corral near Letchworth, NY.  The restaurant is quite the place to eat.  They have just about anything you want including burgers, fries, pizza and an ice cream parlor...how is that for a 50ish-70ish word..parlor.  I like the sounds of it and the place gives the old time feel of taking me back to my teen years.  I know, I always say they are the best years and our generation was the luckiest of lucky to live that era.  It's true, even now I see young people trying to play the hippie style and looking a material the other day it also has the hippie look of the 60s.  Can't ignore a good thing! 

What got me thinking (geez it doesn't take much) today we went on an atv ride around the back roads of Clara with our daughter and her husband.  It was a great ride because Jim took us on 3 roads that we did not know existed.  What a joy and yes we will be on them again for pictures.  Beautiful area.  The best was seeing a house that was just my style!  Those funky 60s colors of deep gold, red and navy blue.  Now this may sound rather yucky to some but trust me the style of the house and the perfection of what to paint what color was absolutely beautiful.  I looked at my husband and said.....my kinda house, I love it!  He said, looks like a hippie lives there.  So the next warm night we will take a ride and get one more look at that very intriguing house that sets in the woods with a well groomed lawn and flower beds.

Ok, let's talk cars. My favorite is the 57 Chevy. Actually I was 8 years old in 1957 but as you know very seldom did parents buy new so when I was 14 my parents owned a 57, silver colored convertible with red interior.  It was a beauty!  Our friend Ron said something the other day that has been on my mind because it is the truth.  He said, one thing is for sure my Hyundai will not be a collector car.  Our Honda will not make it to the car shows in 50 years for a remember when!   Now our cars are nice but we are in the era that cars all look alike, unless you get into the $100,000 price tag.  They just don't have their own personality and style.  As we were walking around looking and drooling at the 50s cars and particularly the 57s he said with regret,  to think I ran the heck out of my Aunt Red's car.  How true, if we knew then what we know now!  Those cars were gold and we all would have drove a little more careful and probably would still own it.  Gosh, there is just something about those cars.  A few of my favorite things, a full bench seat, big steering wheel, windows that rolled all the way down, the window vent on the front doors, the lines, white wall tires, beautiful colors and easy to get in and out of.  The pictures from the car show prove just about everything I like about them.  Hey, when ya went on a date it was a must to set next to the guy....ya can't do that in modern day cars.  I can remember a few "old" wives that would set by their husband.  It made me do the eye roll and think how weird it looked.  If you are from Shinglehouse I bet you know who I am talking about.  Now as I look back it doesn't seem weird it seems rather sweet and yes they are still married.

I am going to mention a few I remember seeing Doug Evingham, Mike Taylor, Cubby Newton,  Lee West, Stan Evingham, Ross Jones, Hollis Allen,  Ginger James and Squeaker Coleman.  There are more but this mind is at a stand still.  Overload does that sometimes.  I can still see some of these guys driving by, window down, hair slicked back and a button down shirt on.  How about that for remembering what cool was!  It was also a time they headed for the Horse Run Road to race to the bridge.  Good times!

It is fun to look back at the cars we grew up with, listen to the music, and talk of good times.  There are a lot of stories to be told, take time to listen or tell a few. 




No comments:

Post a Comment