Monday, May 30, 2016

A Candy Dish

Can you remember being little/young and seeing a candy dish full of sweets (always in a wrapper).  More than likely it was a home that an older person lived in.  My gramma, aunts and my mom all had a candy dish setting on a stand.  It was proper to take a piece (only one) without being offered.  I forgot about "the candy dish" until Sunday when Dick and I went to a yard sale at the Hebron Seventh Day Adventist Church.  They have this sale once a year around the same time.  This is the first year we went and will definitely go back next year.  There were many treasures from long ago.  That is usually what we are looking for.  Just a little reminder of our past.  I believe the older you get the more going back is important.  If I had been more interested in the past during my teen years I would have listened and asked more questions.  I didn't, so these days I rely on what I do remember or what someone reminds me of.  Looking around at all the dishes they were selling for 10 cents to a dollar I found a couple reminders of my past.  When I saw the candy dish I just stood there staring at it with a reminder of walking past my Grammas.  That was a buy, 10 cents, all washed and setting on our stand with wrapped candy in it.  I love it!  The other buy was a milk glass pedestal bowl that was made in Cleveland, Ohio, by O. E. Brody Co.  That was a deal, 10 cents and worth $16 and up.  It's not for sale,  I just wanted to find out about the company.  Dick bought 8 silver (?) coasters etched with a beautiful design.  With a little silver cleaner they cleaned up beautiful.  Needless to say everything we bought will be used.  In the past few months I had been looking for coasters and just couldn't find ones that were just right.  These are,  for.......25 cents.  We love a bargain.
Stamped on the bottom is "Holland Mold".



The rest of time has been in the garden.  Not during the heat of the day but evenings.  We have been going out before supper and  again afterwards.  This weekend was planting of corn, potatoes, beans and cucumbers.  Next will be the winter squash, summer squash and pumpkins.  Do a little weeding and tilling until the busy time of harvest and canning starts.  We have been getting a lot of asparagus since the temperatures have been in the 70s and 80s.  The important thing in seeds germinating is ground temperature which depends on night time warmth.  If the nights are 50-60 with high moisture the seeds and young plants are going to thrive.  So far it looks like a good year for the garden.  Some rain would be nice, it is quite dry at Cook'n by the Creek.  Thunderstorms have moved all round us but none for us. 

Tomorrow our beautiful stand of White Pine Trees will be gone and hauled away to be sawed into lumber for the cabin and whatever else is needed.  Seventeen years ago we took down just enough to build our barn and now the need is here again.  I am very sad but also keep saying, never cry for anything that can't cry for you.  It has been very peaceful looking out the bedroom window watching the tops sway in the night.  On the deck we set and watch them also. There are some young cherry trying to take hold and may do better with the tall pines gone.  Trees are so very important for our world and these guys have been growing since around the late 1800s, from stories an old guy told us about a huge White Pine that grew on the same spot as our trees.  
Tomorrow night the view will be completely different.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment