Thursday, July 25, 2019

What Does Summer Bring?

What does summer bring...........let me start with all the things I love that bring good memories and new memories.

First would be the warm summer days that make the grass, flowers, garden and even the weeds grow.  Without them life would not be so green and colorful.  Not to forget the beautiful hills of Potter County.  We are saddled between some high ones in our little narrow Clara Valley.  My son made the comment a few years ago while visiting from his home in Central NC that we don't know a storm is coming until it is right on top of us.  That is so true!  Never thought much about that.  Like all other times of this season the garden is growing in leaps and bounds...........just like other summers we wondered if it would produce.  It is, peas, beans, cucumber and beets will be picked soon.  Radishes were mighty hot this year but I tried what our Canadian friend said his mom did with radishes when he was growing up.  He is now over 80 years and still talks of his mom's cooking and canning.  Ok, radishes, she fried them!   Last night I fried some for supper.  I like them!  The guy that has lived with me for almost 52 years, no.  They have the texture of a parsnip but a slightly bitter taste which I liked.  Very refreshing.  Just fry in butter,  then salt and pepper .  I really like trying new things and tastes.  My daughter took me to a place that serves Poke Bowls with raw spicy tuna..........I liked it!  And dessert was a bowl of ice cream with little bursting pearl balls filled with juice.  About the size of a salmon egg or tiny pea.  That was delicious and I plan to go back!

What else is a good thing?  Wild raspberries, strawberries, blackberries and blueberries!  Along with the much cherished morning and evening walks we stop to pick raspberries and strawberries.  Strawberry season has come and gone, now the raspberries are in full swing and next will be the blackberries.  If you have never had these berries from the wild you must look for them!  Amazing how much tastier than store bought or even the ones we can pick at farms.  There is just something about Mother Nature that can do it perfect.

I mentioned our morning walks with the fog still heavy and the grass wet with dew.  Cool breezes coming down from the hill makes it a perfect time to take the dogs to the fields and forest.  I did say dogs.......we hav one male named Quincy that is 8 years old.  For some reason we let our grandkids suggest another one.  A 10 week old Aussie puppy that is full of life.  We are really enjoying El/Ellie what ever comes out of your mouth when trying to teach her manners or scold her.  Very lucky, she is just as amazing as Quincy was at her age.  House broke!  Now to get her to come when we ask her to.  I would say she is 60/40.  These two keep us moving rather that set around in our down time.
Ellie meeting Quincy!

Cooling down

I think we love her!


Another favorite for summer, mowing and brush hogging.  For me life doesn't get much better than in the fields looking at the hills and valley views.  Even on hot humid days it is still my favorite pass time.

During the day when the sun is hot and the air humid it is the perfect time to take the lawn chairs, set them in Clara Creek and cool down.  Only to our ankles of course but setting there in the shade watching the dogs play and even splash us now and again takes away the heat of the day.  I like summer very much but nothing above 75 degrees.  July and August tend to get me ready for the crisp cool days of fall.

By the days end and when the sun has dropped behind the hill it is time to take another walk, the view never changes but to see it in a different light is worth getting up out of the chair.  This way we get more exercise, the dogs theirs plus tire them out for a good nights sleep.  We decided a long time ago it also tires us into a relaxing nights sleep.  Setting out watching the lightning bugs is also a way to relax, no sounds around, just peace and quiet with the little diamond lights blinking in the dark.  I am sure this is not for everyone but it keeps us thinking there is peace on earth.

Summer brings beautiful song birds to our feeders.  This year we had plenty of Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, Baltimore Orioles, Finches, Humming Birds and others that my husband knows by name.  Not me I just say what color they are and he says the name.

The other thing I like about summer is the cool mornings so I can bake a treat for the week.  This morning it was chocolate fudge brownies with walnuts.
Afternoon break!




That is the top picks for what summer brings around here as far as the good things.  To be continued in the next blog on what I don't like about summer......Thank goodness they are few and far between!

No comments:

Post a Comment