Sunday, June 16, 2019

It's working, I'm working, everything is ok!

For the longest time the blogger situation was not up to snuff.  For some reason it insisted that everything was changing by a certain date and I wouldn't be able to blog under the new improved way.  So, being bull headed, mean and stubborn (all of the listed, a lot)  I ignored checking on it.  That is until today.  I can only knit, read, cook, do lawn work and gardening work for so long and then it is time to blog.  Especially with all the rain we have been getting.  There has been just a day or so that would let the sun shine and the wind blow to dry the lawn and fields long enough for me to get the John Deere tractors out and cut a little grass.  The field brush hogging is my all time summer fun.  I am "walking in tall cotton" when I am seeing nothing but green hills and fields, a few wild animals and clear blue skies.  It is where I find peace on earth, where deep breaths of clean fresh air relax my well being.   Just me, the sound of the tractor and the view.  I honestly think I could mow all day everyday and never tire of it.

The garden was put in about 3 weeks later than usual since the rain, wind and threat of frosts were frequent.  Finally we tilled and planted.  Everything is in and everything is coming through.  Peas, beans, corn, potatoes, winter squash, summer squash, cucumbers, radishes, beets, tomatoes and hot peppers.  Wait, didn't I say last August that we were downsizing the garden???  Why yes I did and NO we didn't.  I knew in my heart that once we had our winter's rest, sat around just "toe tapping" and waiting for warm weather we would be right back at it.  We are fortunate to be granted another year of the will and health to do what we love.  So remember, come August after all the summer work and canning the harvest I will say, next year not such a big garden...............

One thing all of this rain has brought is beautiful lush green from hills to fields, flowers and shrubs.  It just seems like everything has doubled in size around here.  Even the blueberry bushes are busting with beautiful leaves and lots of blueberries that should be ready to pick around July 4th.  Our wild apple trees are beautiful but not producing apples this year.  Sure hope the orchards around the Finger Lakes are loaded.  I just used the last bag of frozen apples for an apple pie.  I love buying all kinds from the big bins, my best apple pies are mixing different types.  The rhubarb came on strong and then fizzled out, not sure what is going on with it.  I usually have plenty and give some away.  Not this year,  I got 3 batches of strawberry/rhubarb jam and a batch of rhubarb sauce.  The end, no more growing, just little stems that are not worth harvesting.

We have been lucky to have friends visit us and the weather was nice enough to set on the back porch, have a few of our favorite drinks and snacks but best of all talk old times with the ones we grew up with.  After everyone leaves we always say, "that was a good time with lots of laughs".

Pass it on, a good laugh is a good cure all around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment