Monday, January 21, 2019

Old Habits

The saying, old habits are hard to break.  Maybe because we don't want to break them, they are just fine doing what they have done for 69 years give or take.  How do I come up with this thought, who the heck knows.  It is after the storm, lots of snow, plenty of cold and wind.  It is Monday, laundry day, make a grocery list for Wednesday shopping and there ya have it.  A couple of my old habits.  For some reason sitting quietly thinking and planning meals with a piece of paper and pen is one of my favorite times to relax.  I tried putting the list on my phone but for some reason it just doesn't float my boat, light my candle, etc.  That paper and pen is like old school.  Plus.....I hate walking around with phone in hand looking at the list in a store.

The previous blog was before and preparing for the storm.  Now it is after and taking care of all the snow that piled up.  Dick's job is moving it around with the tractor, shoveling spots for the deer and birds to come eat their goodies and start engines to make sure they will start.  My two jobs, making sure the porch is cleared off and shoveling the walk to the driveway.  Now we are ready to enjoy the snow, do a little snowshoeing and maybe a nice hot dog roast in the woods.  I am not a hot dog person but there is something about a roasted one over an open fire, burnt of course.  I have also been waiting for lots of snow to get the Snow Fire blanket outdoors for pictures.  Today is the day while the snow is clean with out tracks in it.
This is by far my favorite knitting accomplishment.

Double knit, reversible.

One thing about snow storms, they always sound like it will last for days and days.  Not around here, 2 or 3 days is about it.  Today the sun is shining but oh so cold.  Still nice to be out and smell the clean fresh air.  We actually woke up at midnight last night to see the beautiful eclipse of the moon.  What a sight!   Right on time the clouds broke away to give us full view.

Let's talk old habits!  That Monday do the wash thing and change bedding.  For some reason any other day just doesn't work for me or I am not willing to change old habits.  Even when I worked the laundry went in before work or after on Monday.  Groceries were always on Thursday because that was pay day.  One habit that has been broken and long forgotten, ironing.  Now even if hung on the line outdoors there are usually no wrinkles.  The only ironing I do is if we are going somewhere special, then it is a quick press to touch up from hanging in the closet.  I just threw my ironing board away and now in the hunt for a small one that hooks on the back of a door.  Not sure they make them anymore but that is what I want.

Then there is food, it seems to always be about food around here.  Watching the snow fall, the cold winds blow and the quiet of Clara Valley calls for some good old fashioned comfort food.  Or not.  I have been watching cooking shows on you tube from foreign countries.  Asian and Eastern seems to be the ones that I have been thinking..........that looks delicious.  For Sunday we had Flat Bread or Naan, depending on the country.  Fresh sauteed yellow, zucchini, onions, red sweet peppers, carrots and garlic with some curry, cumin, coriander, garlic, salt and pepper in olive oil.  Then for a sauce it was Tatziki which is Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, onion, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil.  No meat but it wasn't missed.  Of course Dick had his requested cinnamon rolls for an early evening snack.  It has been quite interesting learning to cook new foods.  Mongolian Beef with fried rice and spring rolls have also been very good.  Not sure what next weekend will bring for something new but I am sure it will be something with a foreign flare.
Flat bread, 3 ingredients and so easy!
A little Mideastern food.

1 comment: