Friday, October 26, 2018

Time will Tell

After a few months of taking a break which doesn't mean I really took a break and totally relaxed.  It is simply the point of thinking, going through old memories, creating a few new ones and  hanging out at Cook'n by the Creek.  It has been a busy summer as usual with the garden, canning, lawn work and also doing a few things at the cabin.  There was also time for family and friends, old and new.  We were lucky to meet quite a few new people this year and all were just our style.  That is a good thing.  I always told the boys when the left for college or the military, you will find your own.  They did!  That makes me happy.

So where to begin on the happenings around here?  It will take a while to sort out what goes in what blog.  I am not sure where to start so this old mind will start recent and works it way backwards.  As I set here looking out over Clara Valley with the hills almost bare from the leaves it reminds me of days gone by.  Twenty years we have lived here and it just keeps getting better.  By the way, no beautiful fall colors in our valley and surrounding areas.  It is just one of those years.  No complaints, just take a look around and find something to make you smile and put the awe in your mind.  It sure is green and that is another good thing.  Wild Boy Smokey is enjoying the fresh green grass and has not had hay from his winter stash, thanks to Dan and Merle Austin we have some nice hay.  Now is this a sign of the winter to come?  Seems like that is on many local minds.  How hard a winter?  More snow than usual, more frigid temps or the opposite?  Again, time will tell and only time.  For me, I will take lots of snow...........it is so beautiful, clean and fresh enjoy. 

Friends took us to an old cider mill near Canisteo, NY.  Lain's and it was just our style.  An old barn with the grinders and press.  A little outside stand to buy cider, apples, homemade vinegar, baked goods, cheese and cheese curds.  Dang, I had to try the vinegar.  It had the "mother" in it.  My sister-in-law told me about the vinegar with the "mother" maybe 50 years ago.  Now I had the chance to see it and try it for myself.  That will be another blog!  Told ya I was gathering and thinking on all these mind boggling thoughts of mine.


So what have I been doing recently out of the ordinary routine?  Yesterday I mixed rye flour and water to get a sour dough starter going.  It will take 7-10 days of playing chemist, feeding and dividing the mixture.  Then with some luck I will be making crusty sour dough bread, pancakes and what ever else I find recipes for.  I have been on you tube looking for the recipe that suits me.  I found a young man that is the best to explain and what a humor he has.  He does many things from all kinds of breads to smoking bacon, etc.  Not sure of his age but I am thinking 20 something and I trust his advice.  Even old seasoned cooks and bakers can learn from the young.  His name is Joshua Weissman and worth the watch.  He carries a great sense of humor and just the right amount along with his knowledge.  Check him out if your looking for a little entertainment and great tips in the kitchen for cooking and baking.  

This is the starter, tonight at 4pm it will have set 24 hrs then I get to divide and feed.  
Hoping for some good sour dough bread.  Time will tell!

From our visit to Lain's Cider Mill I bought a half bushel of apples, all different kinds. $8.00 a half bushel, $14 a bushel.  On Wednesday they turned into apple butter, apple jelly and sliced apples for the freezer for winter pies.  After peeling and coring the apples for the apple butter I looked at the peels and cores........what a waste.  They would be put out for the deer but for some reason I thought.......what if I boil them with some water and make apple jelly?  It worked!   Some of the apples had red skin so the jelly is a beautiful light pink.  Sometimes I can think out of the box.......not often but it does happen occasionally.  Then I surprise myself.  

apple butter..............apple jelly =  homemade butter milk biscuits!
That pretty pink apple jelly on the bottom and apple butter on the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment