Monday, March 6, 2017

Joint Effort

There was a little pie dough left from an apple pie I made the other day.  Dick's mom would take left over pie dough, roll it out thin, put some butter, sugar and cinnamon on, roll it up, slice and bake.  I put a little powdered sugar glaze over when right out of the oven.  It came in handy today for a midday snack from cabin work.  A little food, a little rest, good to go.  Sorta!
Just enough fuel for another few hours of work.
Day ? of the cabin.  I have no idea the total days we have been working on the cabin.  Heck, some days we even have to ask each other what day it is or what the date is.  I do know one thing the last two days of arms above the head, climbing up the ladder to get on the scaffolding has made for 2 Tylenols and early to bed.  Tonight while I was fixing supper Dick was doing the chores and taking down the bedding.  It's Monday and today is the day to do bedding.  I have never been able to break some habits and Monday bedding is one of them.  The weather was nice enough to hang them outside.  Nothing better than fresh smelling, cool, crisp sheets, especially when we will fall in bed tonight.  A good days work and a good rest, I'll take it.  After supper Dick said, wait until I get out of the shower and I will help you make the bed.  I must look pretty darn whipped because he hates helping make the bed and I hate it just as much for him.  He has no idea how to put a fitted sheet on without pulling, tugging and saying a few choice words.  So after dishes I hurried in to make the bed.  I had no desire to sit down and wait for him to help.  I knew if I sat down there would be a good chance I wouldn't want to get up.  Exactly how I would have felt because as I am here relaxing and writing there is no way making a bed would be possible.

So, there are the joint efforts for the day.  Putting up tongue and groove together, I fix supper, do the dishes, make the bed and he hangs up bedding and takes it down.  Without the joint effort nothing would be possible around here.  Tomorrow it will be a rerun minus the laundry.  We are very fortunate that Mother Nature has been providing temperatures to work with.


37 at 9:17, time to get to the cabin.



Joint effort.  I wash it, he hangs it.
Sometimes I wonder "what the hell am I doing"?  There is a warm sunny beach or desert adventure just waiting for us.  I don't know why, for some reason staying busy by working and torturing this old body seems the best choice for me.  I love this valley, all we do and all we plan on doing.  I can't imagine life any other way.  I like vacations but I like getting back to Clara.  There is not one window in our house or cabin that doesn't provide a view that makes me think, wow, how lucky we are.  Walking down the sidewalk today that was hidden for so many years at the camp almost made me cry.  It is like walking back in time.  I looked at our back field remembering Dr. Stevens and her daughter Elizabeth, thinking they looked at the same view I was looking at.  That was in the early 1900s for them.  Gone, never to know what their feelings for their land and Clara.  Even when I work my mind wanders frequently.  A couple times today I drifted into deep thoughts only to be brought back by...........hey, you with me?  Maybe, sometimes, but give me a few seconds and away I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment