Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The Christmas Stollen

Saturday we went to Aldis for a "few" groceries.  $91.00 later I am pretty sure we only forgot 2 items.  Of course I had a list but you have to put it on the list to remember it, which I didn't.  All is more than ok,  Aldis has their Christmas foods and candies from Germany all stocked in one beautiful area.  We each picked out our favorite things.  Mine was the German Christmas Stollen which is a dense sweet bread (not very sweet) with raisins and almonds.  This is the kind of bread to eat and drink a good cup of hot coffee with.  My dad and mom would dip bites of it in their coffee.  I think I shall give it a try.  On the way home we decided supper would be Stollen and coffee.  My favorite kind of Saturday night, relax, no cooking and knit.  We had another late lunch, early supper at Red and Trudy's.  Yum.  If you know what I mean and live far away about now you are wishing I never mentioned that famous place for hamburgers, fries and a very thick milkshake.  The place was packed but lucky for us we walked in a booth just got vacated.   

Sunday's supper for the hunters has come and gone.  Only 5 guys and 3 gals to enjoy the food and conversation.  Years have a way of making the numbers dwindle.  It was still a great time and quite a few laughs.  The young buck Costello guys like to big on the "old bucks" and each other for that matter.  It is all in good fun and typical to get a few digs into one another.  There was Cajun roast turkey, roast beef (pressure cooked) pickled deer heart, sopressata salami, cheeses and a few other foods plus those German candies and goodies.  There was a specialty sandwich I made.  When at my nephews for Thanksgiving dinner he came out with one of his hunting magazines and said, "Aunt Cheryl, doesn't this look good?"  It really did and Dana never asks for favors so I thought, I'm making it for him.  I took a picture with my phone, begged a couple deer steaks from my grandson Kent and made the sandwich.  It takes 12 hours or more from start to finish and it is worth every minute.  Once you get the sandwich fixings made and put together it has to set overnight in the refrigerator.  I dare to say, if I didn't tell you, you would not know it wasn't beef.  You can use beef  but it called for venison and that is the whole idea, use what you kill.  I am going to make it again with beef for one of our friends.  It is that good.  I imagine pork or chicken would be good too.


This was mine before I put the top on.  I pressed this one
like a Panini sandwich and refrigerated overnight. Then
before serving I sliced it in 2" slices.  So good!

Thanks to everyone that ordered a cookbook.  I just placed an order for 100 more bringing the grand total to 252.  I never dreamed so many would be interested.  Love and best wishes to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment