Monday, January 31, 2022

Old Fashioned Fried Cakes

 For some reason I am always one or two meals ahead of the one we just ate.  I don't like going to the grocery store for ingredients so I have to think of what is in the frig, freezer or cabinets that will make a meal.  Last night I asked, would you like Gramma Carrie's fried cakes for breakfast?  Of course I did and I knew he would.  Nothing better than a homemade fried cake and a hot cup of coffee, well maybe 2 and 2 cups of coffee.  Do you know what a fried cake is?  Just a doughnut or donut that is not made with yeast.  They are heavier and a welcome treat at our house.  Gramma was in her early 90s when she taught me how to make them.  I was maybe 19 and just married.  Thank goodness she lived next door and told me to come over tomorrow she would show me how to make donuts.  She knew how much all of her kids and grandkids loved them.  I was so frustrated and ready to throw in the spoon.  We made 2 batches.  Gramma would take one out of the frying grease, break it open and say..........too much flour, not enough flour, grease was to hot, grease wasn't hot enough!!!!  She believed in hands on and let me do it all until the final, break open the donut.  To this day I break open the first donut hole, half way through donut and the last donut.  My husband stood there watching me when I broke open the first one.....the grease is too hot.  He wanted to know, how do you know.  I showed him just as Gramma showed me.  The very center was not done, still wet.  Needless to say he knows I don't even like him stirring a pot or turning over anything I am cooking.  He didn't even ask if he could help with frying the donuts.  Now, that is real fear of the cook!

Powdered Sugar or Cinnamon Sugar!

I guess we might as well make this blog all about food.  It is one of my favorite subjects!  We bought some sweet cubanelle peppers a couple days ago and also a jar of spaghetti sauce, made in Italy!  How could you go wrong.  I stuffed the peppers with Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions, garlic and 3 kinds of cheese and lightly browned them in oil.  The remainder of the Italian sausage and mushrooms I had went into the bought spaghetti sauce to have over spaghetti noodles.  A little hot pepper flakes and grated cheese on top finished it.  The left over spaghetti sauce went in the freezer for homemade pizza one night this week. 
 
Saturday night supper.

2 comments:

  1. Vic loves plain fry cakes. I've never tried to make them but I think I will this weekend. Thank you for the inspiration ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. Let me know how they are. BTW when I get home I can come up and give you the Gramma Carrie lesson ;) Take care and stay warm..I miss Clara!!! Even the snow

      Delete