Monday, January 2, 2023

Frohes neues Jahr, Happy New Year

What did I do yesterday?  My favorite, bake.  My daughter messaged and wanted to know if I would do her a favor.  Of course, that is what moms are for.  We all have the need to feel needed.  Her son wanted to take homemade pretzels to a NYE party here in Clara.  Yes!  I got out my German Cook Book that my son sent me so many years ago.  I use it frequently, we all love German food.  This morning I got the message that the pretzels were a hit.  Sounds like I will be giving a couple women a pretzel baking lesson...that is my kind of awesome!  Pass it on as I always say.  I will be making another batch this week because the guy I live with was a little put out  he only had two.  Sorry bud, the party came first 😉

Our New Year's Eve was the same as it has been for many years,  quiet and in bed before Auld Lang Syne, So far in my life time there are four songs that I hold close to my heart.  I only listen to these songs when I feel strong and thankful.   New Years Eve and Day is a time for me to reflect with wonder.   Auld Lang Syne, https://youtu.be/XwkqYepulQ4
I Thought That he Walked on Water, sung by Randy Travis,https://youtu.be/eCVw8Qjeg84 
I Will Follow You to Virgie, sung by Tyler Childers https://youtu.be/udNmEEfCcUM
  In the Garden, He Walks with Me, sung by Alan Jackson https://youtu.be/hhIGIfsLxVk
 
Two of the songs my son shared with me.  One on an Army Base in Germany when we visited him about 33 years ago.  The song could have been my oldest brother to a T.  This is how we all felt about Bob.  The other song just recently, such a beautiful song and lyrics.  The third song my mom use to sing to me or maybe not to me.  I think she loved it so much, her voice was so soft with love, I can almost hear her singing, just not quite.  The fourth song, well the first time I heard it was partying on New Year's Eve, it took the party right out of me when I listened to it at midnight.  Beautiful from the heart.

A couple weeks ago a gal asked me, what do you do all day in your little place?  Well........quilt, sew, knit, bake, cook, read, and a couple hours at any given time on the computer.  I check the news, fb and you tube.  You Tube is my go to if I want to learn how to do something.  It has saved me time and frustration by checking before I do something and even after I have started and reach the "I don't know" frustration point.  Sometimes after watching their way and applying it I have even come up with a few shortcuts of my own.  Especially with the bowl and plate cozies I have been doing for my kids, grands and great grands.  As of now I have completed 16 sets and  12 more to go.  It has become quite the assembly line, cut the pattern from the material and batting, quilt them, sew them together, turn them right side out and top stitch.  The most fun is picking out the material for each individual and the next is looking at the sets all finished and pressed.  If you are wondering what a plate and bow cozy are.......set the plate or bowl on them for the heating in the microwave.  The first time I made a bowl cozy a friend had sent me the pattern.  It amazed me on how much I like using it.  No more trying to use an oven mitt to get something hot out of the microwave.  The good thing, they are reversible!  So on it goes, more and more make.



There will be lots of good sized scraps left to start a quilt.  Not that I really need to start another one considering I have 3 on the burner so to speak.  This is really out of my norm considering I have always finished one project before starting another.  This fall I decided to get a few going and work each one when the mood hit.  Like a gym class of Darlene Bullocks.  She made it so interesting for the student warm ups before the actual class started.  The kids loved moving from station to station.  Truthfully I am enjoying the variety myself.  My stations are, cutting, sewing machine and hand sewing, throw in a couple knitting projects and a book...............now you know, that is my day.

Please feel free to let me know what occupies your day during these winter months.  Always nice to pass it on and pass on what ever you can teach someone to do.  It is the simple pleasures in life that can make someone very happy.  Plus at my age it is nice to get practice with hand/eye coordination and flex these joints.  Always good for me to learn new things!  My mind is always on the move.


No comments:

Post a Comment