Sunday, August 16, 2020

Just a Little Sad

 Like all things there is a beginning and an ending.  Each year as the garden winds down and the beautiful lush green of young plants turn to yellow, brown and wilted mature and past their time I always feel a little sad.  The joy of waiting for the first young plant coming through the ground, rows beginning to show is our morning walk to check on the progress.  Then the harvest  and what comes next is what makes me feel one more year has gone by so quickly.  I realized yesterday as I was grinding the paint and stain from the back deck with 2 boards left that again a little sad it is coming to an end.  It kept me occupied for the last two week working on the front porch and back deck.  Yes, there were days I thought I just don't want to get the old work clothes on, get all dusty, wear a mask for 4-6 hours.  Those days went by fast and what better way than to take the air hose, blow off most of the dust and then a glorious shower to relax and think of all that was accomplished that day.  As of 4 pm Thursday it was finished.  Except for a trim board that needs painted.  It is on the end our grape vine grows up to.  Until the grapes are harvested that board will just have to wait.  When I told my husband it makes me a "little sad" like the garden ending..........he didn't miss a beat with a come back!  You are not kidding me Cheryle, you have a next project already brewing in your mind........well maybe 😂 For now it is finish the canning and then some fall camping trips are on my mind with reading, knitting, crocheting, hikes, a couple wineries and just good old take a break resting.  

Accomplishments in ones life is key to being satisfied with what has been.  No matter what it is, from grinding paint off, knitting socks, baking something delicious, cleaning or whatever it is a good feeling to look back and say, there I did it and proud of it. Little joys of life can turn into the best things to remember.  

I am also a little sad, the corn needs water.  One type has ears but small.  They will be ready in a week if the drought doesn't take its toll.  They other type is a not going to even get ears.  It grew at least 14 ft tall and tasseled out.  Not one ear!  The potatoes are another failure.  I have been digging them to save what is there.  Not many per hill.  3 -5 and not as big as my fist.  This is the first time raising potatoes that they come out of the ground clean of dirt.  It is so dry nothing is sticking to them.  Tomorrow I will can most of them and save some for our annual corn roast to roast in the hot coals.  Quite a different garden year.  We normally get 100 to 150 pounds of potatoes.  Let's hope the potato and corn farmers have better crops for the market.  The cukes were doing great and we were enjoying them daily until one morning we went out and the vines showed signs of the blight!  By afternoon the vines were flat on the ground.  Our 2 types of peppers did not produce a healthy looking pepper and not many.  Again, strange garden year.  

Next weekend we will travel to Keuka Lake, one of our favorite rides.  Not far is the Windmill Market and down the road is a wonderful Mennonite vegetable, fruit and greenhouse.   If you haven't been to the Windmill it is a fun place to walk around.  They have outdoor and indoor stands and sell just about anything you can imagine.  The Mennonite market is the place to buy though.  Very reasonable prices.  I will be hoping to get a couple bushels of tomatoes, peppers, mild and sweet, peaches and pears.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment